How to make a radiator cover and gas meter cabinet
This is my post on how to make a radiator cover. If you can’t see the video, please click here.
Urgh cover it up!
Now because we’ve been able to get out in the garden again I’m noticing some of the things I didn’t quite finish off last year.
One of them is an ugly gas meter cover, which has certainly seen better days.
Now I could replace it with a new ugly plastic cover but I’ve got an idea that’s going to keep both me and the gas man happy.
This is also the way you could make a radiator cover, or indeed a way of disguising anything you don’t like in and out of the house!
I must admit I’ve spent too much time worrying about how unattractive radiators are!
- First of all you want to measure your space. You need your depth, width and height.
You also need to make sure the ground is level, which of course in my case it wasn’t!
2. Cut your side panels and the top. I’m using a festool saw, but you can use a power saw or a hand saw if you want to make life hard for yourself!
Oh and you should be wearing goggles by the way…
3. Add batons to the side panels to support the front.
I wanted a front that looked attractive but also allowed me to read the meter. I had some spare trellis which was perfect.
4. The front panel needs a hole cut out. This needs to be big enough that you can view the gas meter, but not so big that it won’t support the trellis.
5. Secure it all together with support beams on the top and bottom of the front panel.
What you have at the end is one whole piece that slides in neatly.
I also painted mine and surrounded it with plants to make a lovely feature on my patio.
What I like about this is that it’s simple but can bring real character to this garden zone, as well as offering a practical solution.
If you’re looking for other versatile ideas you can use both inside and outside, check out my blog and video on how to create a Kardashian interior… and exterior.
Check out the bloopers from filming this video if you fancy some light relief.
Why not subscribe for free so you never miss a post or video?
For daily posts and live demos come and chat with me on The Home Genie TV Facebook page.